It was opened as the Square Man's Hotel in 1881 by the unusually named licensee, Wordsworth Clemesha, who operated it until 1917. In honour of its country music, Tamworth is home to the 'Big Golden Guitar', the wax museum and the hands of fame park of successful country music artists. In 1850, a public town was gazetted on the opposite side of the river from the existing settlement. Part of this work was to infill the yard between the male toilet and the station building and provide a bracketed awning as an extension to the original awning which was supported on finely detailed cast iron columns and beams." The lesser-known. There are a few hundred shops in the main street, as well as restaurants, street cafés and banks. Once a common type it is one of only two such structures remaining on the northern rail. * In 1854 Philip Gidley King became Superintendant of the Tamworth based holding of the Australian Agricultural Company. It is a bulk goods complex. * In 1841 the larger AAC grant, Goonoo Goonoo, became the company headquarters. St Paul's Church Another fun spot for kids is the Tamworth Regional Playground, with its flying foxes, a skywalk, bike track and splash pad. 4. He eulogised the area: "it would be impossible to find a finer or more luxuriant country than its waters ... No place in this world can afford more advantages to the industrious settler than this extensive vale". 8. You can see how your digits compare with the handprints of over 300 musical stars whose hands have been immortalised in concrete at the, The Tamworth Regional Gallery, one of the oldest galleries in NSW, is a great spot to discover the district’s heritage. Shopping centres include: Tourism is a significant industry in the Tamworth area, worth $AUD239 million annually as at December 2014, with by far the most significant draw being the annual Tamworth Country Music Festival, the biggest event of its type in Australia and the Southern Hemisphere. , Population for Tamworth Urban Area.. It includes paintings by Hans Heysen and Norman Lindsay and an outstanding silver collection, the Regan Silverware Collection. 7. An evening to…, Proudly supporting and nurturing Australian country music talent, the Toyota Country Music Festival Tamworth is an ungated…, Bitter and Twisted Boutique Beer Festival, , which runs over 10 days in January, is justifiably famous with nearly 3000 events featuring some of the biggest names in the industry drawing over 300,000 people. The Tamworth Gaol ceased to exist on 25 March 1943, and this was ratified by a proclamation from 8 April 1943.  Tamworth is a city and the administrative centre of the North Western region of New South Wales, Australia. Located at 216 Peel Street, the Powerstation Museum is located in the general office of the old power plant. Not all are of interest but the ones that are particularly impressive include: 1. in April, which celebrates the region’s fresh produce and cool climate wines.  There are over 180 sporting clubs in the Tamworth region and the region has several strong competitions, including basketball, cricket, football (soccer), hockey, netball, rugby league, rugby union and Aussie rules football. All rights reserved, Crowds enjoying live country music at the 2019 Tamworth Country Music Festival, The annual NCHA Futurity is the richest three year old horse performance event in Australia with prize money of over…, An New Years Eve Carnival for the whole family! The Northern Daily Leader reported in 2014 that "The $4.7 million development application provided for a woolshed to be made into a function centre and restaurant, holding up to 136 and 134 people respectively. 472 Days Captive of the Abu Sayyaf", "GALLERY: Relief after release of former Tamworth man Warren Rodwell", "Farrer Old Boys' Association 2006 Newsletter", https://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?title=Tamworth,_New_South_Wales&oldid=981219272, Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike License, McDonald's Northern Inland Premier League. which gave them their name of Walers, coined by the English. It covers a total area of 14 hectares and is an opportunity to make contact with kangaroos, emus, peacocks and birdlife including king parrots, sulphur crested cockatoos, wonga pigeons, bronzewings, and doves. The festival has many times been counted among the world's top ten music festivals. The proposal included renovating a dilapidated chapel to host weddings and turning a run-down schoolhouse into a bridal waiting area. Urban Tamworth occupies an area of 240.7 km2 (92.9 sq mi) as of 2016. Starting at the Oxley Scenic Lookout and winding along the ridge tops to Endeavour Park and Marsupial Park, the Kamilaroi Walking Track is 6.2 km long and, because it ranges from easy walking to strenuous walking, will take around 3 hours to complete. Only one came back. There is a useful History and Heritage brochure available at the Visitor Information Centre which lists 21 places of interest which lie beyond the city's CBD. * In 1878 the railway from Newcastle reached West Tamworth. Around 87.8% of people only spoke English at home.   It features thousands of Australian and international country music artists performing live shows 24 hours a day. Construction of stage I began in June 2007 and was completed in October 2008. It is a huge replica of the Golden Guitars which are awarded each year at the annual Country Music Festivals. You can also catch a cultural performance at the purpose-built, and go bushwalking, fishing or paragliding.  Regional airline Fly Corporate began a regular service between Brisbane and Tamworth on 31 October 2016. The Tamworth Regional Conservatorium of Music is another important part of the performing arts scene in Tamworth. Tamworth is recognised nationally as the sporting horse capital of Australia and is the headquarters of Dave Manchon, as well as for three major equine associations: CHA, ABCRA and AQHA. The roof is of slate and the building features numerous additions from different periods. The Big Golden Guitar Tourist Centre is filled with music memorabilia, including more than 20 guitars signed by local and international musicians. Located at 223-227 Marius Street, this impressive (and religious-looking) building was once the Dominican Convent. Located within the town are an athletic track, Australian football grounds, badminton courts, baseball diamonds, indoor basketball courts, indoor and outdoor cricket pitches, croquet turf, cycling (velodrome and bmx track), two 18-hole golf courses, a gymnastic centre, water bases hockey fields, the Australian Equine and Livestock Events Centre used for equine sports, eleven bowling turfs, a kart-racing track, a speedway track and a motocross track, netball courts: twelve asphalt courts, 30 grass courts and an indoor synthetic court, an inline hockey court, rugby league and union fields (nine senior fields and seven junior fields). * By the mid-1860s Tamworth had become a major coaching station and milling centre. The main city centre is on the northeast bank, between the river and the Wentworth Mounds, which rise to heights of 800 m (2,600 ft), towering over the city. It is open from 9.00 am to 1.00 pm from Wednesday to Saturday, tel: (02) 6766 8324 or check out http://tamworthpowerstationmuseum.com.au. * A private village developed on the western bank of the Peel River in the late 1830s with a few huts and stores on the eastern bank to cater for teamsters who crossed the river at that point. A new Town Hall opened in 1934 and for many years, until 1984, it was the home of the local Army Reserve. The Australian Broadcasting Corporation (ABC) operate and broadcast five radio stations: Several other radio stations are based in the town, including 2TM, general community station 88.9 FM, Christian community radio station Radio Rhema 89.7 FM, and hit music station FM 92.9. St Nicholas's Church It is, in fact, so large that it has become the most important service centre in the New England region with nearly one quarter of the city's workforce being employed in the retail sector. Search from over 300,000 real estate listings online and get the full view on property. The sculptor was Tanya Bartlett of Newcastle who created the Slim Dusty and Joy McKean sculpture in Peel Street. For more information tel: (02) 6767 5555. , The Kamilaroi people, from whose language comes the word "budgerigar", inhabited the area before European contact. Located on the corner of White Street and Marius Street, this has been the site of Catholic churches since the first church in Tamworth was built here in 1859. It marks the spot where Oxley crossed the Peel River on 2 September, 1818 on his expedition from the Castlereagh River to the coast at Port Macquarie.  Under the Köppen climate classification scheme, Tamworth has a humid subtropical climate (Cfa). Tamworth is located 390 m above sea-level on the Peel River and 410 km north of Sydney via the New England and Pacific Motorway. Daytime temperatures hover around 16–17 °C (61–63 °F) and occasionally make it to 20, and overnight around 3 °C (37 °F). * By 1851 the population was 254 and a school was set up. With the station having severed its ties to the sheep industry to focus on cattle grazing, 11 short-term accommodation units will be created in the old shearers’ quarters."  Tamworth had a working population of approximately 18,000 in 2008. The southwest bank is much flatter, and the city's suburbs sprawl to the south. Tamworth is the largest and main retail centre for the New England and North West Slopes regions of New South Wales. The city is recognised as the National Equine Capital of Australia because of the high number of equine events held in the city and the construction of the world-class Australian Equine and Livestock Events Centre, the biggest of its kind in the Southern Hemisphere.